How to Make a YouTube End Card!

Monday 30 March 2015

Hello all, and happy Monday!

Today I thought I'd do a post on something I loved finding out how to do, and that is make a YouTube end card. You know the clip at the end of a YouTube video with the clickable links to subscribe or watch another video? In my early days of YouTube I hadn't the faintest idea how to go about this, so when I got more serious about my channel, I decided it was something I needed to teach myself! This particular post talks you through the process on iMovie, because that's what I use to edit my videos - I'm not sure how much the process differs on other editing suites, but I'm sure somewhere out there someone will have made a post on that!

So, you've reached the end of your video, said your goodbyes, and you're ready to make your end card...

STEP 1: Insert either a "Title" clip, or a Picture.

If you want to keep things basic, just insert a title clip, the way you would if you were popping a title at the start of your video. This way, you can either leave it blank, or insert a bit of text to say "subscribe" or "my last video" - whatever it is you want to link your viewers to!


If you want to make it a little fancier, pop into photoshop or paint, or even a website like Picmonkey, and create a little endcard image for yourself - this is a bit more fun! You can then include whatever you like in it - I have a subscribe button, icons showing all the social platforms I use (twitter, instagram, bloglovin, etc!) and a bit of text to indicate that they might like my last video too! Leave enough blank space on the image that you can insert your video clip.


To insert it as an image, make sure you import your end card into iPhoto - that's where iMovie sources images from! Just click the little camera icon, select your image and drag it onto your project!


STEP 2: Insert Clip

Once you have inserted that into your project, select the bit of footage you want to add on to the end card! That might be a clip of a related video (if it's a haul, you might want to link back to your last haul), or maybe just your last upload! I usually aim for a clip that lasts ten to fifteen seconds.

Drag the clip on top of the end card image - iMovie will then ask what you want to insert it as. At this point, choose "Picture in Picture".


The clip will then appear on your end card - drag it into place, and resize it to fit.



STEP 3: Export your video and Upload to YouTube

Now you're ready to export and upload your video as usual!


STEP 4: Edit Annotations

Once your video has uploaded, select the "Annotations" button from the editing bar under your video. Skip to your end card, and click on the "Spotlight" option from the "Add Annotation" dropdown menu.



A transparent box will then appear on your video. Drag this box over the clip you have inserted, or the "subscribe" button you have included.


Click the little box beside the word link, and YouTube will bring up a box to let you choose what you're going to be linking to. This has options which include video, channel, subscribe, Google+ Profile, and playlist.


Click on the relevant word and insert the relevant link - if you're linking to the subscribe button on your channel, link to your channel, or insert the youtube.com/ address of whatever video you're sending them to!


You can insert multiple spotlight links, so repeat this process as many times as you need to.

Be sure to click save and apply changes.


And you're done! You've made a perfect end card to keep your viewers watching your content!


I really hope that was useful for some of you - I know I was certainly thrilled when I learnt how to do it!

Thanks so much for reading guys, and hope you have a great Monday! Be sure to send this link to any vloggers/YouTubers you know who might find it useful :)

6 comments:

  1. Oooh this is so useful, thank you for sharing! I have no clue how to insert a video in to a picture on Windows Movie Maker as it's pretty basic, but I'm looking in to new editing software and hopefully upgrading to an iMac later on this year (I've been saving for months now!) so I'll definitely keep this bookmarked xx

    Charlotte / Colours & Carousels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I've been needing to do this for some time now!

    Chelsea | East Willow Grove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! I'm so glad it was useful for you! x

      Delete
  3. Lynsey this was so helpful! I've never been able to work out how to do the video insertion bit!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that was the bit that always stumped me in the beginning too!! xx

      Delete