Happy 30th Birthday Neighbours!

Wednesday 11 March 2015

Afternoon all!

This year marks the 30th anniversary of my beloved Neighbours - a show my mum and I have watched for longer than I can remember. So, in honour of that, I thought that today I would do a little "Top 30" post. Now, for obvious reasons, the first ten - fifteen years are not really included as much as they perhaps should be. Mainly because for the first five I wasn't born, and the next ten, I was a small child, so my memory of what was happening in Ramsay Street is somewhat hazy! But I've put together 5 favourites across 6 categories, and I hope any Neighbours fans out there enjoy it!!

I tried to do a top 5 characters, I really did, but it was just impossible - Karl and Susan, Harold, Toadie and Sonya, Sky, Donna, the entire Timmins clan, Dee, Izzy, Paul, Vanessa and Chris are definitely up there though.

And I couldn't resist including a little collage of my own trip to Erinsborough - what I wouldn't give to go back!!



Top 5 Friendships:

Lucas and Sonya, Tash and Chris, Susan and Lyn, Donna and Elle, Connor, Toadie and Stuart:

The House of Trouser was never the same without Connor, Toadie and Stuart living together! And I really loved sisterly bond that Elle and Donna developed. As for Lucas and Sonya, we all know I love when a show manages to create a totally believable platonic friendship, and there was never a hint of romance between these two (or Chris and Tash, albeit for slightly different reasons!).


Top 5 couples:

Toadie and Sonya, Karl and Susan, Paul and Izzy, Harold and Madge, Lucas and Vanessa:

I still stand by the fact that Paul and Izzy were one of the best couples ever in a soap. They were equally devious, which made them really entertaining to watch, but in the more serious, emotional moments you could tell that they actually really did love each other. And this post couldn't be complete without Karl and Susan, the ultimate Neighbours couple!!


Top 5 man crushes:

Mark Brennan, Kyle Canning, Daniel Robinson, Chris Pappas, Billy Kennedy:

Okay, so 4 of the 5 of these are current Neighbours stars, which is either because they're doing exceptionally well right now, or because when I look at ones I fancied as a teenager my tastes have somewhat changed!! What's more, I don't reeeally remember Billy all that well from Neighbours itself, but after watching Jesse Spencer in House, I've decided that had I been a bit older before he left, I'd probably have fancied Billy.

Also, let's all just take a moment to appreciate Mark Brennan...


Top 5 girl crushes:

Donna Freedman, Vanessa Villante, Beth Brennan, Naomi Canning, Dee Bliss:


While Margot Robbie takes over Hollywood, I still remember her arriving in Erinsborough stalking Ty and becoming besties with Elle Robinson. And right now, I'm loving Naomi - she's a breath of fresh air, and beautiful to boot.

And yes, okay, this is a much more recent photo of Natalie Imbruglia, so Beth didn't quite look like that, but the old pictures I found were a bit grainy. Plus, it's Natalie Imbruglia, she could wear a binbag and still look better than anyone else in the room!



Top 5 brilliantly bizarre moments:

That time Paul and Lyn got married.

That time Karl and Ned formed Oodles and Noodles.

That time Max randomly started living with another family.

That time Harold tried to kill Paul.

That time Sindi went from sweet to scary completely out of nowhere, and pushed Toadie down a flight of stairs.



Top 5 dramatic moments:

Sonya is revealed to be Callum's mum.

The plane crash.

The Lassiter's complex fire.

Who pushed Paul off the Lassiter's roof?

Libby finds out Dan is the father of Steph's baby.



Happy Birthday Neighbours!! Here's to 30 more years of entertainment from Erinborough!

You can check out my vlog from my trip to Ramsay Street here! And tell me - what/who have some of your favourite Neighbours moments, couples and characters been over the past three decades?!!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Aww this makes me sad that I haven't watched Neighbours in years and don't know half of the people you are talking about, haha! I used to love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you should get back into it at some point, it's just as brilliant as ever! x

      Delete
  2. Amazing, lots of things I had totally forgotten about! I still get angry thinking about the time Stingray DIED FOR NO REASON, definitely one of my most memorable Neighbours episodes! And I am madly in love with Kyle Canning, it's not even funny.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah so true!! That was awful! I remember us ranting about this at New Year, poor Stingray! xx

      Delete