5 Reasons To Watch The Office

Friday 15 May 2015

Hello all :)

Today I decided to write a "5 Reasons to Watch" post for a show I took far too long to get in to. This time last year, I had only recently started watching the US version of The Office, despite being told by so many friends that I just had to give it a shot. When I did, I realised what a mistake it had been to put off watching it for as long as I had! I finally watched the finale a couple of weeks ago and cried my eyes out, both because it was utterly perfect, and because I was so sad it was over!!

So here are 5 reasons to watch The Office - if you've never seen the show before, I hope this inspires you to watch it, and if you're already a fan, I hope you enjoy reliving some of the best (spoiler free, obviously!) aspects of this nine season comedic masterpiece!


The Acting

First and foremost, the acting in this show is incredible. Honestly, the entire cast just make the show a joy to watch, and as the seasons go on it just gets better and better. For me, Steve Carell as Michael Scott is one of the most perfect casting choices ever made - in the original British version of the show, David Brent was not a particularly likeable character, while you can't help but love Michael. Carell strikes the perfect balance, and while Michael still says plenty of stupid things, he has a vulnerability that just leaves you absolutely rooting for him. But it's not just about Michael - the acting from everyone is amazing, and they created some of my favourite characters of all time.


The Writing

The writing on the show is also incredible. Not only is it really sharp and funny, but because we have nine seasons to spend with these characters, we get to know them so well. They are all so well developed that there are genuine moments towards the end of the later seasons (keeping it spoiler free, I promise!) when you find yourself saying "But X situation would never happen because I know that character so well". The relationships they build up feel so genuine, and while not an episode goes by without a lot of laughs, there are plenty absolutely heart-breaking moments thrown in there too. We experience so much with these people, and that's all thanks to the clever writing.

The Short Episodes

It sounds like a daft reason, but since the majority of the episodes are only 20 minutes long, it's so easy to watch. If you have 20 minutes to spare, it's the perfect thing to stick on. It does, however, lend itself extremely well to binge watching for the same reason. You may find yourself having watched six and going, "but one more is just another twenty minutes..."!

The Romance

The search for love is a big deal in this show, for a lot of the characters, and they write their romances so cleverly. Some of my favourite TV pairings exist in this little world, and some of my favourite moments in the show are tied to characters trying to meet the right person. SO CUTE.


Threat Level Midnight

Again, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but Threat Level Midnight is one of my favourite episodes of television ever. And I have a lot of favourites episodes. It doesn't arrive until season 7, but seriously, it's worth the wait. I've lost track of the number of times I've watched it now, and I genuinely laugh till I cry every single time. It's just one of those perfectly put together, absolutely hilarious moments in television that I'll never get tired of.

So if you haven't watched The Office yet, please give it a shot - you will not regret it! My parents have just started watching it from the beginning for the first time, and I'm so jealous of all the brilliant storylines they have to look forward to!

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Going to start this soon! I love watching easy to get into shows when I'm working from home. I also love Mindy Kaling and I just recently found out she was one of the writers on the office. Excited to start watching now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to start watching this! never watched the UK version but I love Steve Carrell...he's so funny!
    X

    http://edinburghstylejunkie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the romance! I cry every time at the Jam wedding ('and dance forever-ever-ever') and at the Michael Holly thing. SO GOOD! I love Dwight and Angela best though, that ending was perfect. 'This expresses how loudly I love you!'

    I could go on all day. I won't though ;)

    ReplyDelete