Scottish Ballet - Peter Darrell's "The Nutcracker"

Friday, 19 December 2014

If you're anything like me, nothing quite gets you in the Christmas spirit like going to see a nice festive show. Whether that's a Pantomime with the family, a screening of a Christmas film with your friends, or, in the case of this particular post, the ballet, there's just something lovely about heading out on a cold December evening and escaping into the theatre to watch a Christmassy story unfold.


I was lucky enough to be invited along to the dress rehearsal of the Scottish Ballet's production of The Nutcracker, and I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a long time! In a little behind the scenes chat, we found out all about the history of the Peter Darrell production (which you can find out more about here), and discussed the lovely, nostalgic, childhood centric feel to this version. Rather than attempt to create a dark or unexpected take on the story, this particular production has a really magical feel to it, and encourages you to see it through a child's eyes - what could be more Christmassy than that?!

One of my favourite photos I took at the dress rehearsal ♥

I can't even tell you how stunning the set and costumes are - you really do have to see them for yourself. They are absolutely captivating. From the amazing glittering capes and beautiful dresses, to the flurries of snow and amazing Christmas tree, the whole look of this production is incredible.

I quite enjoyed it - can you tell?!

I left the Festival Theatre finally feeling festive, and I would totally recommend heading along if you can over the next couple of weeks! Tickets are available here and the show runs till the 3rd January 2015 in Edinburgh, and continues on to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness and ends in Newcastle on 14th February :)



Hope you're all having a lovely week and looking forward to Christmas!

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment